Saturday, June 26, 2010

VULKAN REVIEWS: TRANSFORMERS WAR FOR CYBERTRON







VULKAN:
Growing up who didn’t love Transformers? At the age of four I was watching old reruns of it on god knows what channel and at the age of five I found the movie at the children’s section at a video rental store. At the age of seven I watched Beast Wars and I loved it until they went back to Cybertron. The show really went downhill then but before that I was amazed that the entire show was a sequel series to Transformers (however confused I was with the names.) Anyways I could go on and on about every series I watched, loved and, hated growing up but this review as the title would imply is about the recent game “Transformers War for Cybertron” on the Playstation 3.”


Controls:
Transforming in the campaign is a nice fluent quick motion that’s effortless and smooth. However in multiplayer this presents a massive flaw and I found myself transforming on accident countless times and many of these countless times resulted in death. I shouldn’t complain too much considering you can change the control layout to have transform be the A button. But my personal preference of only changing the robot mode controls to type B cannot be done in multiplayer and that is a real problem for Me. But I’m not going to piss and whine about that it’s just something to get used to.
One thing I noticed was that there was a glitch that whenever I used a weapon with any type of scope sometimes my character would start moving on his own. One case this resulted in death as bumblebee decided life in a holocaust was way too much and realized that resistance was futile and fell to his doom at his own hands.

Thoughts on the Campaign:
All the effort in this games campaign was obviously put into the Autobot side. Heck even when you go to start single player it auto selects Level 5 (The start of the Autobot Campaign) During the level the game is great and everything seems to flow quite well. However things just tend to happen for the sake of happening and the solution to every problem is blow something up or go press this button. I know not to expect too much. Anything else probably wouldn’t fit in too well. Now the main thing that is just disappointing in the campaign is that almost every boss is some giant war machine or someone hiding inside a war machine with your object to piss him off enough to make him come out of the machine or just break the machine with the exception of Starscream (everyone loves Starscream) and of course the end bosses of both campaigns, but even then you might as well classify them as giant war machines (I think I just made a pun.)
While on the topic of the two end bosses there is one truth that I learned. Playing as the leader = Death. The rate of fire and explosives and the other explosives from previous fire easily catch up to your slow bulky selection. The only characters I was able to use to defeat them were the scout choices for both battles. Another complaint I have is how easily the bosses can kill you without any effort. A simple mistake can pretty much result in death the vast majority of the time.

Story:
The story is pretty thin in reality. You’re not exactly given too much detail or really any detail on the vast majority of the characters. For example why is it that anyone would ever join Megatron? What was his election booth like? –“I am Megatron obey me or suffer!” – I’m guessing that it went something like that. Another question is how exactly was Starscream “Betrayed?” I know it’s a short game but a little extra detail would have been very nice. I honestly wouldn’t be surprised to find out a line of comics are to be released to tie into this game.

Voice Acting:
The voice actors they chose for this game are just about all top notch well known voice actors. Heck I can go through the campaign and multiplayer yelling out well known roles they have done elsewhere. However there is also a lack of voice actors. By this I mean a few times a voice actor had to do more than one role. The primary example being one of the three playable Decepticons in level 1 being the narrator for the whole game!
Multiplayer:
Multiplayer is fun rather if it be a free for all death match or a team battle. But something about it just feels oh so familiar.. I can’t exactly put my finger on it. I really wish I could recall it. But it’s my duty to finish this little review. But seriously I swear I’ve played this before just with humans instead of transforming robots. Oh well robot death match is far more modern. Warfare is always so sweet when it’s virtual, especially when you can go invisible and surprise someone with candy made of bullets.
Something I don’t care for too much is the lack of selection for the classes. I know it’s only characters that appeared during the campaign but I’m just dying for more than 1 Autobot solider.

Character Design:
The design for the vast majority of the characters is excellent. The only complains I have are
1.Too many giant shoulders.
2.Bumblebee looks like he’s blushing.
3.Megatron looks stupid.

No comments:

Post a Comment